Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

If any of you make the homemade laundry detergent you are going to love this. Because if you have those ingredients all you need is Citric Acid and Kosher Salt to make this!

Since living in Las Cruces our glasses went from being perfectly clear, to being cloudy and ugly. We have really bad hard water. It grossed me out to look at it. I have always wanted to try making my own detergent for the dishwasher but couldn't find a recipe that I liked, especially to handle the hard water. I know that stores sell things you can add to your dishwasher but I didn't want to spend the money on it or use all those chemicals. So finally, I found one that I liked. We tried it, and we love it.
 
DIRECTIONS
2 cups Washing Soda
2 cups Borax
1 lb Citric Acid
1 cup Kosher Salt
use 1 tbsp per load
 
**once you have made this stir it and let it sit out for a few days (still stirring it at least once a day) so it will not clump together before you put it in a container**
 

I use vinegar as a rise agent, that I add in a container in the top rack of the dishwasher. Read this article to find out why I do this.

Ok, now if you are wondering about price break down here it is...

To buy the supply
Washing Soda $2.70
Borax $3.56
1 lb Citric Acid-$13
Morton Kosher Salt $4
Total cost for supplies: $23.26
 
Total cost break down
Washing Soda .78 cents
Borax .80 cents
Citric Acid $13
Kosher Salt $4
*Which equals 7 cups of detergent for $16.58 and you get 112 tbsp for 7 cups!!!!!!
*That means that it equals .15 cents per load!!!!
 
We've always bought the cheap brand of detergent. So I am not sure about price compairson when it comes to cost per load. To be honest it might equal the same but this is natural and it works with hard water stains!

Just from using the new detergent a few times our glasses are getting CLEAR again!!!! WAHOOO!!!! I don't think I'll ever buy store detergent again!
 
 

No comments: