This first recipe is the best butternut squash soup that I have found.
(serving size 4)
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium butternut squash soap- peeled, seeded and cubed
1 (32 oz) chicken stock
salt and pepper
**When I made this I did not use the celery**
**I also baked the squash for 1 hour instead of cubing it, to me it was much easier to bake**
1. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Bake butternut squash for 1 hour at 350. While squash is baking do step two.
2. Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potates and squash for 5 minutes, or until lightly brown. Pour in enough chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Transfer the soupd to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any reamining stock to attain the desired consistency. Season with Salt and peper
Another Butternut Squash soup. To me this has a more earthy taste to it, but I still liked it.
1 medium butternut squash
1 medium onion
1 tbsp ginger
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup water
3 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1. Cut squash in half. Scoop our seeds, lay upside down and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350. Set aside and let cool when done baking.
2. Scoop out flesh from skin once cooled.
3. While squash is in the oven cook the onion and ginger int he butter over low heat for 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Add squash to pan.
4. Transfer to belnder in batches and puree until smooth. Add enough water to achieve desired consistency.
5. Return to sauce pan until desired heat.